RidinSoLow
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RidinSoLowRidinSoLow  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Its coooldddd :(

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
MilkyBarKid
Occasional Poster

Its coooldddd :( Empty
PostSubject: Its coooldddd :(   Its coooldddd :( EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 1:06 am

My cars gone kaput, basically...

Few times at work recently batterys gone flat so jumped it. Now was driving and it just died while moving so then bump started it. Had no heating, was constantly cold. Then died on me again and could smell burning. Now wont even jump start.

Any ideas? Someone said it might be the thermostat thats gone which is why its cold and the battery could just be a coincidence?
Back to top Go down
lwigmore
Occasional Poster

PostSubject: Re: Its coooldddd :(   Its coooldddd :( EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 7:53 am

Nah sounds like alternator not putting enough juice into the battery, hence the battery always dying as its running the car only on battery which isn't good,

Erm only way to find out if it is alternator is check the ohm's reading on a multimeter on the battery with the car running, If the car starts mate, ive got a multimeter in the garage, could pop round and have a look and check if the alternator has gone?
Back to top Go down
MilkyBarKid
Occasional Poster

PostSubject: Re: Its coooldddd :(   Its coooldddd :( EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 10:51 am

Wheels automotive has got it now. Did do that though when the battery went before and it was fine.
Back to top Go down
AndyK
Virgin

PostSubject: Re: Its coooldddd :(   Its coooldddd :( EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 12:36 pm

Should of been around 14.4v when the engine was running if the alternator was working correctly, if it was around 8-10v then the alternator wasn't charging the battery.

Certainly sounds alternator related although it could be that the battery cells have died and the alternator is charging but the battery can't hold charge.

What car is it Alex?
Back to top Go down
lwigmore
Occasional Poster

PostSubject: Re: Its coooldddd :(   Its coooldddd :( EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 3:45 pm

Its a peugoet 306 turbo diesel, why take it to a garage? You could've fixed that on your driveway alec?
Back to top Go down
MilkyBarKid
Occasional Poster

PostSubject: Re: Its coooldddd :(   Its coooldddd :( EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 4:29 pm

Battery is fucked. Alternator is fine, also radiator is leaking like a shotgun hole in a bucket. Altogether 400 to fix which includes sorting my wheel bolts out as I lost my locking wheel nut lol.

In February it needs wheel bearings two tyres and a centre section in exhaust. There's no point me spending all this. Might aswell just spend the money on a newer car
Back to top Go down
Jonesy
Jonesy

PostSubject: Re: Its coooldddd :(   Its coooldddd :( EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 4:38 pm

106 gti Wink
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/scootjones
AndyK
Virgin

PostSubject: Re: Its coooldddd :(   Its coooldddd :( EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 4:49 pm

£400?

Battery even a heavy duty one is £70. Wheel bolts, go screw fix and buy the removal kits for locking nuts thats about £25.

Radiator go scrappy or what not but it's certainly not going to be £300 for one brand new anyway. Unless there is more than just those bits

For battery, rad and bolts I'd imagine you'd get that sorted with change from £200.
Back to top Go down
lwigmore
Occasional Poster

PostSubject: Re: Its coooldddd :(   Its coooldddd :( EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 5:38 pm

AndyK wrote:
£400?

Battery even a heavy duty one is £70. Wheel bolts, go screw fix and buy the removal kits for locking nuts thats about £25.

Radiator go scrappy or what not but it's certainly not going to be £300 for one brand new anyway. Unless there is more than just those bits

For battery, rad and bolts I'd imagine you'd get that sorted with change from £200.

But these days, garage's charge a fortune for labour, but totally agree with andy though, you could've fixed that car yourself for £200 easy mate
Back to top Go down
MilkyBarKid
Occasional Poster

PostSubject: Re: Its coooldddd :(   Its coooldddd :( EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 7:12 pm

I havent done it yet so can get the car back to mine if needs be?
Back to top Go down
lwigmore
Occasional Poster

PostSubject: Re: Its coooldddd :(   Its coooldddd :( EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 1:20 am

Well if it was me, i'd personally get the car back home and fix it yourself mate Wink
Back to top Go down
MilkyBarKid
Occasional Poster

PostSubject: Re: Its coooldddd :(   Its coooldddd :( EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 1:23 am

Wiggy, fancy earning a few bob in teh evenings this week Wink I'll ring you tommorow about 1ish if thats okay?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Its coooldddd :(   Its coooldddd :( Empty

Back to top Go down

Its coooldddd :(
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
RidinSoLow :: Car Chat :: Help & Advice-
Jump to: